- What is a story? Definition of a story. Understanding the elements of a story.
- Script writing is telling story through Scenes.
- Difference of writing for print medium and screen medium. Comparison of the both.
- Source of a story idea. Germination and nurturing an idea. Target audience of the story or script.
- Structure of a Screenplay.
- Time span of the story.
- Creating curiosity i.e. What next?
- Creating the logic in the script i.e. why next?
- Creating Emotion in the script.
- Three Act structure.
- Character background.
- The goal or need of the character. What he or she wants to achieve in the story span?
- What are the obstacles against that goal.
- What he/she does to overcome the obstacles or how they come into terms with it i.e. the action line of the character.
- Their internal turmoil.i.e. the emotional line of the character.
- The character as well as what they do are the subject of the story or script.
- Story is a journey of a character. The character should evolve through the story. They cannot stand still.
3. Film Dialogues. It’s realistic as well as purposeful nature.
- Dialogue reveals the character as well as steers the story.
- Importance of gestures instead of dialogue.
- The basic unit or block of the script. Scene is an event.
- Choice of location and time of scenes. Location and time say many things which can help the scene. Importance of Location & Time.
- Context and Content of a scene.
- Scene Structures.
5. Genres of Films
6. Twenty Master Plots for every script.
- Analysis of masterworks as we proceed through this curriculum as well as Writing and developing short scripts by the students.